nurse

info

entries

garden

What We Do

The Community Nurse’s services are offered with the aid of the United Way and the Partnership for Better Health. Some examples of things the nurse may do are assistance with medicine box preparation, and wound care and blood pressure screenings. There is no fee required for these services but donations to the Civic Club are accepted. The Education Committee has the responsibility for the funding and administration of the Marian E. Freeman Scholarship to a Shippensburg Area High School Student. They also award two civic club scholarships annually, one to a Shippensburg area senior high school student entering the medical service field and one to a nontraditional student.

The Court House is open to the public and tours are provided by costumed docents. The Tours are given the second Sat. of the month in May, June, July, Sept. through Dec. from 1-4 p.m.  For private group tours, call 532-5978. The Court House and Garden Committee also have the responsibility for the maintenance and upkeep of the Court House and its grounds.

There are six regular meetings of the club during the year - the Program Committee was established to select and present programs which represent the interest of the membership. The Public Relations Committee prepares news releases to inform the community of the club activities. Ways and Means committee plans and carries out events that will provide financial support for the various club projects. The Welfare Committee plans and directs welfare activities for the Club.

History:
The club was founded in 1911 and initially met in homes, churches, the YMCA or any available space. At a meeting in 1920 a motion was made that receipts from a November rummage sale be set aside as a beginning of a clubhouse fund. In1926 a Mr. Freidinger, working at the News-Chronicle, saw an ad for the sale of property at the intersection of King and Queen Streets in Shippensburg. He visited several local businessmen in an attempt to preserve this historic house and on September 9th the News Chronicle reported the public sale of the property for $2,900 to the directors of the Beistle Company.

The structure was built in 1735 by Samuel Perry and was used as his family dwelling. In 1740 it was being used as a tavern run by a widow, Janette Piper. In 1750, Cumberland County was formed and the tavern was then used as a court house for one year between 1750 and 1751, at which time the court house was moved to Carlisle. Later in 1819, the building again became a family dwelling and was so until it was purchased in 1926 by the directors of the Beistle Company. These businessmen were H.W. Geesaman, J.S. Omwake, John B. Hosfeld and M. L. Beistle. They turned over the old Court House to the Civic Club in 1927 for the purpose of preservation and maintenance.

The following March, 1927 two committees agreed it would be possible to make a clubhouse and in July they began to recondition the house using the rummage sale money. They soon realized that they would need a substantial courthouse fund to restore and furnish the building which is now known as the Old Court House. Mrs. S.D. Sutliff was appointed the first Chairwoman of the newly formed house committee.

There have been many renovations over the years. When the Civic Club took over the house they spent $3,000 on restorations as the house had been neglected for many years. There was major work done in 1961 and 2002 on both walls facing King and Queen Streets. In 1974 it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Cross and Crown